[gothic-l] Re: Thanks---- Gothic Word for Spear???

Sarah Patton rebal_girl85 at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed May 31 12:14:36 UTC 2000

Ram'on
my name is an original goth name it is Sarah everywitch you would see would
have the name Sarah.  I was named after a punkrocker who latter found the
gothic movement.  I am jest starting to learn the gothic language and im
wanting to know meanings and words also well gotta go to school bye
rebal girl

>From: Ramón Maldonado <Bocinero at warwick.net>
>To: Jdm314 at aol.com
>CC: gothic-l at egroups.com
>Subject: [gothic-l] Re: Thanks---- Gothic Word for Spear???
>Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 22:36:19 -0400
>
>Jdm314 at aol.com wrote:
>
> > We discussed this a while back. Basically the word should be gais,
>gaizis as
> > I recall. The form "gairu" is not actually attested, i'ts a "ghost
>word".
> > Consult the Gothic-L archive at egroups for more info.
>
>=================
>Thank you much for the speedy reply.
>I asked the question because I had always thought that certain names which
>start
>or contain "Gar" were of Germanic origin as in my distant memory I
>connected
>"Gar" with spear and recently thinking on it I wondered if the Visigothic
>word
>was similar to "Gar" .
>
>I hope this is not off topic but am I remembering wrong or are names like
>Gary,
>Garcia and Garvy derived from the Gremanic word for "spear"????????
>
>Though I have posted one question before to this group (Question on the
>Spanish
>name Gumersindo)I just joined the list (today) and I am unfamiliar with
>it's
>workings. As remedial as it may sound, how do I find the Gothic-L
>"archives".
>Though I do recieve mail from 2 other lists I've never had to check the
>archives
>of either of them before.
>
>Ramón

Hot off the press- summer's here!
School's out and it's sizzling hot. Whether you're planning a
graduation party, a summer brunch, or simple birthday party,
shop GreatEntertaining.com before your next celebration.