[gothic-l] Re: Neil Acherson's Crimea (MYHA)

Philip Rusche ruschep at NEVADA.EDU
Wed Nov 1 10:57:19 UTC 2000

There is also the very common OE word "maece".  And besides the Old Saxon
word "maki" that was mentioned, there is also an ON "maekir". (All these
have long vowels in the root syllables).

Philip Rusche

>I was not aware of this faroese word  maeki for sword. This does seem
>to change things and makes a borrowing from Gothic into Slavic more
>likely. Thanks for the information.
>Dirk

>> Dirk is not quite right as there is a Faroese word mæki, which
>> means "sword".
>>
>> Svein Nestor

eGroups eLerts