[gothic-l] Re: Neil Acherson's Crimea (MYHA)

Brian Beck babeck at ALPHALINK.COM.AU
Wed Nov 1 22:24:03 UTC 2000

--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, dirk at s... wrote:
> This proposition would be supported by the fact that the Russian
word
> for helmet, 'shlem' (I hope my transliteration is vaguely correct)
is
> likely of Germanic origin. See German 'Helm'. On the other hand it
> worries my a bit that a word similar to mekeis or myha does not
seem
> to appear in other Germanic languages for sword, and given that
> according to Vernadsky the Anti were famous for their swords
(Beowulf
> quote) a borrowing into the Gothic language should be considered.

Dirk,
  There are, in fact, several cognates to mekeis in other Germanic
languages.  Someone has already mentioned Old Saxon 'maki'.  There is
also Old English 'mece'.  So it is unlikely to be a borrowing from
Slavic.  In regard to your reference to the Anti in Beowulf, I think
you are referring to word 'ent' which actually means 'giant'.  There
are several references to 'enta geweorc', 'the work of giants' and to
'entiscne helm', 'helmet made by giants' in Beowulf. But the only
reference I know to swords made by giants is in the phrase 'eald
sweord eotonisc', 'ancient sword made by the eotonas'; and, of
course, 'eoton' is another word for giant (ON. jötunn), though I
am
not sure whether they represented a different race of giants or just
a different name for the same entity. I don't know whether Vernadsky
regarded the Anti as a real people or whether he is referring to the
same mythological race as the Ents in Beowulf.
Entishly,
  Brian

eGroups eLerts