[gothic-l] Scandinavian Origin of theGermanic Peoples; Gutiska or Gautiska?

Anthony Appleyard MCLSSAA2 at FS2.MT.UMIST.AC.UK
Thu Nov 2 10:38:29 UTC 2000

  Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm at swipnet.se> wrote:-
> If you read the Golandic history many of your questions will be answered.

  What evidence is there that the Wulfilan Gothic word for "Goth" was {gut-}
rather than {gaut-}?

> The old name of the island from where the Goths emigrated is Gutland and
> the people is called gutar and the language is called gutniska.

If so, how does modern Gotland Swedish treat its descendants of other Common
Germanic words with {-au-} in, e.g. *{naud-} = "need"?

> According to professor Elias Wessén their language is almost identical to
> the Gothish language.

Similar in what way? I can't imagine that modern Gotland Swedes would speak a
language very like Wulfilan Gothic with all those case endings etc. If modern
Gotlandish was that archaic, I would have heard of it long ago.