[gothic-l] Scandinavian Origin of theGermanic Peoples; Gutiska or Gautiska?

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Thu Nov 2 12:52:19 UTC 2000

Hi Anthony!
Sorry that you never heard about the Gotlandish language.
Wulfilas world was not Goth it was
Guthiuda
Gutans
the same as in the Gotlandic language.

Gotland and Sweden are two different cultures. Gotland had nothing to do
with Sweden until it became a Swedish colony in 1679. Up to the Middle ages
it was an republic governed by a judge like you can read about the earlier
Visigoths.

Here comes the first part of Guta lagh:

Guta Lagh
1. Hier byrias lagh guta oc segia so at fyrstum
Thitta ir fyrst upp haf i lagum orum thet wir sculum naicca haithnu oc
iatta crisnu. Oc troa allir aann guth alzvaldanda. Oc hann thar bithia thet
hann unni os ar oc frith sigr oc hailsu Oc thet et vir magin halda
cristindomi orum Oc tro vari retri oc landi oru bygdu Oc vir magin huern
dag thet sysla i allum giarningum Oc vilia orum. sum guthi sei dyrth i Oc
or sei mest tharf at bethi til lifs oc sialar.

Tore

>  Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm at swipnet.se> wrote:-
>> If you read the Golandic history many of your questions will be answered.
>
>  What evidence is there that the Wulfilan Gothic word for "Goth" was {gut-}
>rather than {gaut-}?
>
>> The old name of the island from where the Goths emigrated is Gutland and
>> the people is called gutar and the language is called gutniska.
>
>If so, how does modern Gotland Swedish treat its descendants of other Common
>Germanic words with {-au-} in, e.g. *{naud-} = "need"?
>
>> According to professor Elias Wessén their language is almost identical to
>> the Gothish language.
>
>Similar in what way? I can't imagine that modern Gotland Swedes would speak a
>language very like Wulfilan Gothic with all those case endings etc. If modern
>Gotlandish was that archaic, I would have heard of it long ago.
>

>You are a member of the Gothic-L list.  To unsubscribe, send a blank email
>to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.
>Homepage: http://www.stormloader.com/carver/gothicl/index.html

eLerts