[gothic-l] Re: Germanic Migrations

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu Nov 2 14:19:17 UTC 2000

Happy Halloween to you too. There was no mentioning of the origin of
the Germanic people being in Saxony-Anhalt and Thuringia at all in my
comment! The excavations at the 'sacrifical' caves near Osterrode are
still ongoing. I can try to dig up some more info about that. For
what I know the Archaeologists interpret the caves as possibly a
cultic place where human sacrifies took place. The relevant culture
was identified as Proto-Germanic on the basis of object recovered. In
Thuringia there are many early Germanic sites. Of special interest
and open to the public is for example the Funkenburg, a large Germanic
castle of earth walls and (formerly) palisades. The Funkenburg is
dated to the 3rd Century BC. Other places include Oberdorla and
Haarhausen. A lot of archaeological research done in this  area is
only now coming to light after the end of the cold war.

One short question. If the first Germans came to this area say
Thuringia in 500 BC from Scandinavia as you seem to suggest, who was
living there before this. The area was never settled by Celts. Were
they the remnants of the earlier megalithic cultures?

--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, bertil <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
> Dirk,
>
> Thank you for this info. When did the excavations
> take place and what conclusions did the archaelogists
> draw from the results: that the origin of the
> Germanic peoples was in Saxe-Anhalt and Thuringia
> or did they speculate on an earlier migration
> from Scandinavia?
>
> Meanwhile I wish you a happy Halloween or allhelgona-
> helg, whatever your preference is.
>
> Germanically
>
> Bertil
>
> > It will be very interesting to see how Musset accounts for
Germanic

blank email to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.
> > Homepage: http://www.stormloader.com/carver/gothicl/index.html

eGroups eLerts