[gothic-l] Re: Germanic Migrations

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu Nov 2 07:47:32 UTC 2000

--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, Bertil Häggman <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
> Having been waiting for the latest book on these
> issues _The Role of Migration in the History
> of the Eurasian Steppe_(ed. A. Bell- Fialkoff),
> London:Macmilan, 2000) I am pleased to note
> that the editor is of a view of a southern
> Scandinavian origin:
>
> "Musset (a French scholar, my note) placed their Urheimat
> (the Germanic peoples, my note) in southern Scandinavia
> in the late Bronze Age, an area where no pre-
> Germanic linguistic substratum had been found
> (p. 4). From there some Germanic tribes spread
> along the Baltic coast, toward the Oder. Others
> followed the coast of the North Sea, toward the Weser.
> By 1000 BC, according to Musset, German habitat stretched
> from the Ems to central Pomerania (Demougeot dated
> their appearance in Pomerania much later, from 400 BC [
> Demougeot, 1969, 45]. If we follow Musset, by 800 BC
> Germans reached Westphalia in the West and Vistula
> in the East. And 300 years later they could be found on the
> lower Rhine, in Thuringia and Lower Sileasia (Musset, I, 4)."

It will be very interesting to see how Musset accounts for Germanic
archeological finds in Thuringia and Saxe-Anhalt dating from at least
1200 BC if the Germans arrived only around 500 BC. (See for example
the  recent excavations at Osterrode and the Proto Germanic
Scacrifical cave were some 37 skeletons with Proto-Germanic artifacts
have been found, dating suggest at least 1800 BC).

Dirk

> Lucien Musset, _Les invasions: les vagues germanique_, Paris:
> Presses universitaires de France, 1965.
>
> Emilienne Demougeot, _Le formation de L'Europe et les
> invasions barbares_, Paris: Editions Montaigne, 1969-1974.
>
> More later with a review of the book.
>
> Germanically
>
> Bertil

eGroups eLerts