[gothic-l] Re: Baduila - Totila and Teja Question

Matthew Carver matt at INVISIONSTUDIOSINC.COM
Thu Nov 2 01:56:20 UTC 2000

on 11/1/00 1:02 PM, Tim O'Neill at scatha at bigpond.com wrote:

> --- In gothic-l at egroups.com, dirk at s... wrote:
>> This has probably already been discussed, but could somebody tell me
>> what the meaning of the two names of Baduila/Totila are. (I have 2
>> coins (decanummi of Rome and Pavia) which give his name as BADUILA
> and
>> BADUELA), as official documents do.
>
> Baduila seems to have been his real name - it's from 'badwa-' (battle)
> with the diminutive suffix '-ila'.  Literally it means 'little battle'
> or 'little battler'.  Totila seems to have been a nickname - it's
> meaning is uncertain, but it also has the '-ila' suffix and so could
> be a short version of a longer nickname or of the longer form of the
> name of one of his relatives, the way my cousin Pat is called 'little
> Pat' to differentiate him from his father of the same name.
>
>> I belief that Baduila means
>> warrier, but what does Totila mean and why does he have two names.

Koebler: To'tila, s. Tata?: Totlia = Badwila
under "Tata": dunkel
under "Tatila": Q.: Garcia Moreno Nr. 73, 144

Althought pure speculation and without precedent, I propose that this
is a "Koseform" of a name with the first element Thaur-/Thor- or Thiud-
; if the former, then the second element perhaps beginning with a
dental consonant or the -t- representing a whimsical reduplication
(hypocoristic). Other sources could have been Thut- "stridor, blare,
trumpet" Thuht- "moody; mood, thought", To'l- "danger?". "Trumpetling"
or "Dangerling" might fit with "Little Battle(r)".

>> Similarly, what is the meaning of the name Teja or Tejas. On his
>> coins his name is spelled THEIE and others!
>
> Teias or Teia as well.  Sorry, can't help you with this one.
> Cheers,
>
> Tim O'Neill

Koebler is as helpful: "Koseform zu einer unbekannten Vollform"
I suggest perhaps a "Koseform" of Thiuda(-) unless of Greek borrowing
(Theia, goddess). Other sources could have been Thewi- "thrall" Thiwi
"maidservant" or Theihwo "thunder"

Matþaius

eLerts