[gothic-l] Re: Baduila - Totila and Teja Question

Tim O'Neill scatha at BIGPOND.COM
Wed Nov 1 20:02:51 UTC 2000

--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, dirk at s... wrote:
> This has probably already been discussed, but could somebody tell me
> what the meaning of the two names of Baduila/Totila are. (I have 2
> coins (decanummi of Rome and Pavia) which give his name as BADUILA
and
> BADUELA), as official documents do.

Baduila seems to have been his real name - it's from 'badwa-' (battle)
with the diminutive suffix '-ila'.  Literally it means 'little battle'
or 'little battler'.  Totila seems to have been a nickname - it's
meaning is uncertain, but it also has the '-ila' suffix and so could
be a short version of a longer nickname or of the longer form of the
name of one of his relatives, the way my cousin Pat is called 'little
Pat' to differentiate him from his father of the same name.

> I belief that Baduila means
> warrier, but what does Totila mean and why does he have two names.

See above.

> Similarly, what is the meaning of the name Teja or Tejas. On his
> coins his name is spelled THEIE and others!

Teias or Teia as well.  Sorry, can't help you with this one.
Cheers,

Tim O'Neill

eLerts