[gothic-l] Re: Germanic Migrations

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Fri Nov 3 14:36:54 UTC 2000

Bertil,

we are speaking about a time were there are virtually no written
documents in our area. So the usefulness of historians, as you
suggest, is limited and linguists and archaeologists take centre
stage. Elert, Dahl, Udolph and others bring together the latest
findings from the archaeogical side (I have refered to these
excavations earlier, Jastorf and Pre-Jastorf cultures) with the
latest linguistic research on early Germanic languages. Both fit
remarkably well and even the first (tentative) genetic studies tie in
neatly.
All in all, we are witnessing the undoing of the old 'Common Nordic
Hypothesis', i.e. the end of the 'out-of-Scandinavia-Theory' in the
Germanic 'Urheimat'-debate.

Dirk

--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, Bertil Häggman <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
> Dirk,
>
> It is always interesting to note the views
> of linguists on these matters but the
> picture cannot be complete without
> historians and archaelogists.
>
> I am not sure how to interpret the views
> by Elert on the origin of Germanic peoples.
> Could you maybe provide an interpretation?
>
> Germanically
>
> Bertil
>
> > My view is that the spread of the Germanic language took place in
> > 1000-500 BC, most likely around 700 BC. I would not use the word
> > "settlement" . There is no reason to assume an invasion or
massive
> > migration, rather a language shift.
>
> > It is generally assumed that there was a Germanic-speaking
population
> > in parts of NW Germany aroudn 1000 BC. The hypothetic language
shift
> > could be due to influence (and limited migration) fron this area
into
> > Scandinavia. Other possibilities cannot be excluded. The Bronze
Age