[gothic-l] Re: Germanic Migrations

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Fri Nov 3 16:34:05 UTC 2000

Bertil,

linguist are often in the happy situation of working with 'the real
thing'. As you know, names, i.e. place names are the graveyards of
languages and linguists can be the archaeologists of languages. For
scientists such as the mentioned persons who have all presented major
, recent contributions to the field by presenting real evidence, being
called 'speculators' is quite insulting to them. I think it would be
better to engage with the evidence and provide counter evidence
otherwise you could run danger of being called a speculator yourself.

Dirk

--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, Bertil Häggman <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
> Dirk,
>
> I thought Elert and Dahl were linguists. Their theories
> are of course of limited value and as you say, there
> are no records so the field is pretty much open
> for specualtion. Dahl and Elert are no doubt
> interesting speculators and as long as their theories
> have not found the way into the history books they
> must be regarded as peripheral.
>
> Germanically
>
> Bertil
>
> > we are speaking about a time were there are virtually no written
> > documents in our area. So the usefulness of historians, as you
> > suggest, is limited and linguists and archaeologists take centre
> > stage. Elert, Dahl, Udolph and others bring together the latest
> > findings from the archaeogical side (I have refered to these
> > excavations earlier, Jastorf and Pre-Jastorf cultures) with the
> > latest linguistic research on early Germanic languages. Both fit
> > remarkably well and even the first (tentative) genetic studies tie
in
> > neatly.
> > All in all, we are witnessing the undoing of the old 'Common
Nordic
> > Hypothesis', i.e. the end of the 'out-of-Scandinavia-Theory' in
the
> > Germanic 'Urheimat'-debate.

eGroups eLerts