[gothic-l] Re: Germanic Migrations

keth at ONLINE.NO keth at ONLINE.NO
Sun Nov 5 02:23:52 UTC 2000

Dirk wrote:
>Dahl argues "However, recent research has tended to associated the
>genesis of the Germanic peoples as an identifiable grouping with the
>rise of the iron technology in northern Europe, notable the Jastorf
>culture whose centre was situated in present-day Lower Saxony
>(Germany) aproximately between 600-300 BCE......places the
>(pre-Jastorf) Urheimat firmly between Elbe, the Erzgebirge and the
>Thuringian Forest, a fair distance from Scandinavia.... Scandinavia
>does not, by and large, share any of the oldest layers of Germanic
>place names."(p.5)

Can you give some examples of such German place names that
indicate the presence of very early Germans and Proto-Germans?

And how can you distinguish between a Proto-Germanic and
a pre-proto-german/indo-european place name?
After all Proto-germanic and Indo-european both
belong to the same language family, and therefore
might be difficult to distinguish. Especially if
the place names have been handed down orally for thousands
of years.

And where does it say that Scandinavia has no old
Germanic place names? I'll have to look into that,
because what I retain from reading is that some
Scandinavian place names are extremely old, and
Germanic as well. There are however also a few examples
that may belong to another language - but it is impossible
to determine what kind of language it may have been.
Generally, I thought the earliest place names go
back to the earliest agricultural settlements,
which would place them in the neolithic period.
(?)

Keth