[gothic-l] Re: Germanic Migrations

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Mon Nov 6 09:14:54 UTC 2000

--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, keth at o... wrote:
> Dirk wrote:
>
> >Hi, below are the answers given to me by Prof. Elert a Swedish
> >linguist about the problem of the origin of
Germanic/Proto-Germanic.
> >(the numbered questions are from me, the answer/view below was
given
> >by Prof. Elert).
> >
> >> Dear Dr. Dirk Faltin,
> >My answwers to your questions:
> >>(1)  I would like to know if the the whole text is available in
> >English?
> >Answer: No.
> >>
> >(2) Can you clarify for me when, in your view, the settlement of
> >Germanic/Proto-Germanic people of  Scandinavia started?
> >
> >My view is that the spread of the Germanic language took place in
> >1000-500 BC, most likely around 700 BC. I would not use the word
> >"settlement" . There is no reason to assume an invasion or massive
> >migration, rather a language shift.
>
> All this agrees with opinions stated by other linguists on the
> net some years ago, an opinion that seemed convincing to me,
> which is why I remembered it, and also used the year 700 BC
> in my post a few days ago. Note that 700 BC is just a few centuries
> before the beginning of the Iron Age in Scandinavia.
> My own speculation was that the expansion of the early
> Germans had something to do with their early ability
> to use iron. But at the same time I should like to
> maintain that the language spoken in major parts of
> South Scandinavia (Skagen/Kattegat/Øresund area + Baltic islands)
> before the arisal of Proto-Germanic was a variety of Indo-European,
> which had been spoken there during the whole Bronze Age
> as well as during part of the Neolithic.

Hi Keth,

yes I agree. This view is infact already mainstream thinking and the
evidence has been accepted by people like Patrick Geary, Peter Brown
etc. It is a shame that people like Lucien Musset failed to
incorporate these views in his latest book and only repeated/reprinted
what he said in his 1975 book on Germanic Migrations.

Dirk