[gothic-l] Name of the Semnones"

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Sun Nov 5 08:50:29 UTC 2000

>I have a linguistic question here . . .  I'm trying to figure out an East-
>(or West, for that matter) Germanic reconstruction for the name Tacitus
>gives as the "Semnones."  I was thinking, that since he uses "Suiones" for
>the Swedes, and the ON name is Svear, that the E. Germanic (Gothic)
>equivalent would be Sve()as (?)--though there is probably some kind of
>intervocalic component that I'm missing.

Tacitus does not use "Suiones" for the Swedes or Svear.

That is a Swedish construction in the Middle ages.

Tacitus talks about the people on the island in the Baltic. He uses Plinius
who wrote about a Roman businessman who during the time of Nero visited the
largest trading places along the Baltic Sea. In Gotland there are several
important trading places from that time. What later became the country of
Svear (see The Origin of Svear and their arrival into Lake Mälar Area in
the 6th century ISBN 91-972306-8-5) was at that time partly below water.

On the Kylver stone from Stånga Gotland 4th century with the full runic
alphabeth is also the word "sueus"

Tore

>I'm also latiniacally challenged, but the -ones ending sames to be the
>entire Latinate inflection, correct?  Would that make the stem Semn- or
>Semn(j)/(w) (+ inflection)?
>
>Thanks
>Frank

eLerts