[gothic-l] first person n runes; Thiudaworda; etc

Anthony Appleyard MCLSSAA2 at FS2.MT.UMIST.AC.UK
Mon Nov 6 10:27:16 UTC 2000

  Bertil Häggman <mvk575b at tninet.se> wrote:-
>  "I, Hlegestr from Holt, made this horn". Sych a statement, so Borkenau,
> contrasted sharply with the Greek and Latin expressions. A Roman crafstman
> would write for instance "Gn. Manlius faber hoc cornu fecit" (The craftsman
> Gn. Manlius made this horn).

There are Germanic inscriptions where the author uses the 3rd person. e.g. I
read about one (I think) "Boso rist runar" = "Boso carved the runes".

I read that the name "Scandinavia" comes from a Roman source and that the
parrt {-avia} is the Common Germanic ror "island". Where else in Germanicdom
does the name or word "skand-" occur, and with what meaning?

   "Tim O'Neill" <scatha at bigpond.com> wrote (Subject: '*Thiudawordaz' /
'*Thiudaiworda'?(crosspost)):-
> My problem is the name.  At this stage the site is called  '*Thiudawordaz'
> which was my guess at Primitive Germanic for 'People Words'. ...

Or should it be {Theuda-}? Roman sources have {saltus tEUtoburgensis} and the
name {thEOdoricus}, with E not I. But with {Theodoricus} for {theudari:kaz} or
{thiudari:kaz} there is the risk that the name was subjected to "Ypres to
Wipers" -style distortion to the familiar by Romans to Greek {theo-dor-ikos} =
"related to a gift given by a god".

The name Ariovistus in "De Bello Gallico" has "o" not "a" as a link-vowel; can
that be trusted as linguistics, or is it a distortion to Latin and Greek usage?

Some say that it would be strange if Tacitus knew more about Scandinavia than
about Germany, although Germany was nearer. But long-distance travel was much
easier by sea (e.g. into the Baltic) than by land. E.g. I read that in Roman
times corn could be shipped the length of the Mediterranean for the same as it
cost to cart it 50 miles inland.

Receive 500 minutes of Personal Conferencing FREE.
Go to Sprintbiz.com.