[gothic-l] first person n runes; Thiudaworda; etc

jdm314 at AOL.COM jdm314 at AOL.COM
Mon Nov 6 17:59:21 UTC 2000

<<  Bertil Häggman <mvk575b at tninet.se> wrote:-

>  "I, Hlegestr from Holt, made this horn". Sych a statement, so Borkenau,

> contrasted sharply with the Greek and Latin expressions. A Roman crafstman

> would write for instance "Gn. Manlius faber hoc cornu fecit" (The craftsman

> Gn. Manlius made this horn).

There are Germanic inscriptions where the author uses the 3rd person. e.g. I

read about one (I think) "Boso rist runar" = "Boso carved the runes". >>

I'm pretty sure I've seen the first person somewhere in Classical
inscriptions too, though I can't think of where. Or maybe I'm thinking of the
construction where the object is made to be the "speaker" of the inscription,
as in the (now considered fraudulent) Praenestine Fibula "Markos med Numasioi
fhefheked" (vel sim.) "Marcus made me for Numerius"

<< I read that the name "Scandinavia" comes from a Roman source and that the

parrt {-avia} is the Common Germanic ror "island". Where else in Germanicdom

does the name or word "skand-" occur, and with what meaning? >>

    It does occur in Pliny both with and without the -navi- part.

<<   "Tim O'Neill" <scatha at bigpond.com> wrote (Subject: '*Thiudawordaz' /

'*Thiudaiworda'?(crosspost)):-

> My problem is the name.  At this stage the site is called  '*Thiudawordaz'

> which was my guess at Primitive Germanic for 'People Words'. ...

Or should it be {Theuda-}? Roman sources have {saltus tEUtoburgensis} and the

name {thEOdoricus}, with E not I. But with {Theodoricus} for {theudari:kaz}
or

{thiudari:kaz} there is the risk that the name was subjected to "Ypres to

Wipers" -style distortion to the familiar by Romans to Greek {theo-dor-ikos}
=

"related to a gift given by a god". >>

There definitely was that danger. Proto-Germanic did, however, distinguish
between *iu and *eu, and if I'm not mistaken this word was the latter. Both
sounds merged in Gothic though anyway. Someone who knows more on this subject
should explain if you want more.

<< The name Ariovistus in "De Bello Gallico" has "o" not "a" as a link-vowel;
can

that be trusted as linguistics, or is it a distortion to Latin and Greek
usage? >>

Yeah, could be either I suppose, especially as De Bello Gallico is so old in
terms of Germanic...

<< Some say that it would be strange if Tacitus knew more about Scandinavia
than

about Germany, although Germany was nearer. But long-distance travel was much

easier by sea (e.g. into the Baltic) than by land. E.g. I read that in Roman

times corn could be shipped the length of the Mediterranean for the same as
it

cost to cart it 50 miles inland. >>

Good point.