[gothic-l] Re: first person &runes + Scandinavia

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Tue Nov 7 16:28:49 UTC 2000

>In a message dated 11/7/00 6:35:47 AM, you wrote:
>
><<As I have earlier pointed out the Roman name for the present day
>
>Scandinavia was Thule.
>
>Tore>>
>
>I don't have my sources in front of me, but I was under the impression that
>exactly what the Romans meant by Thule was not as clear cut as all that. It's
>an island, and it's on the ends of the earth. I've seen many sources say it's
>Iceland or the Orkneys... granted these are probably later traditions, but do
>we have any way of knowing that they're wrong?
>
>-JDM

Hi!
We can take Jordanes:

And at the farthest bound of its western expanse it has another island
named Thule, of which the Mantuan bard makes mention:

"And Farthest Thule shall serve thee."

The same mighty sea has also in its arctic region, that is in the north, a
great island named  Scandza, from which my tale (by God's grace) shall take
its beginning.

As Plinius, Tacitus  and the Goths looked at the Baltic Sea from Poland you
have Thule on the Eastern side with the island Scandza in the middle.
Furher Jordades says that the shape of Skandza is like a Juniper wider in
the middle and pointing in the ends. Look at the shape of Gotland. The word
"Skandza" means coast.
Tore