[gothic-l] Scandinavia and Scania Nos 2 - 6 - Home of the Langobards/Lombards

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Thu Nov 9 09:26:55 UTC 2000

>JGP,
>
>This is a list on the Gothic language
>so actually I guess that "the island of
>the Langobards" is somewhat out
>of line, as is the present discussion
>on the origon of the word Scandinavia.
>The Germanic List was created recently
>for the purpose of discussing early
>Germanic history.
>
>A number of classical authors point to
>Scandinavia/Scania as the original home
>of the Langobards.
>
>First we have _Origo gentis Langobardorum_ :
>
>"Est insula qui dicitur Scadanan, quod interpretatur
>excidia, in partibus aquilonis, ubi multae gentis
>habitant."
>
>Then we have Paul the Deacon and his
>_Historia Langobardorum_ who wrote that
>the Vinniles migrated from the island of
>Scadinavia. This island looked in the
>following way:
>
>"Haec igitur insula, sicut retulerunt nobis qui eam
>lustraverunt, non tam in mari est posita, quam
>marinis fluctibus propter planitiem
>marginum terras ambietnibus circumfusa".
>
>There are several names of Scandinavia used
>by the classical authors: Scathanavia, Scadanan,
>Scadinavia, and Scatenauge. What is partly
>treated in my contributions on Scandinavia
>and the southernmost province of Sweden,
>Scania, is the fact that initially the Romans
>only knew about this province and did not
>understand that Scandinavia was a large
>peninsula. They thought it was an island
>and several names was used.

Bertil,
I am very curious to know what proof you have for this statement, or if it
is only speculations based on name similarities with names we use today. We
don't know what peoples of that time called their own areas.

What archaeological proofs are there that the Romans had contact (normally
trading contacts) with Skåne. Did Skåne have anything that interested the
Roman empire?

On Gotland we have various archaeological finds from the Roman Empire from
that time.
We know from Plinius that during the reign of Nero a Roman ember merchant
bought plenty of ember from the Baltic area east of the Vistula river in
Poland. Plinius also says that the merchant also visited the most important
trading places in the Baltic area. As the trading places on Gotland were
very important and shows remains of Roman artefacts and coins from that
time we must presume that Goltand was included in the itinarary.
Professor Erland Hjärne has proven that Tacitus used this notice from
Plinius when he wrote about the people on the island in the middle of the
Baltic sea.

I know that you have very important places in Skåne from the Viking time,
but what important trading places did you have 900 years earlier during the
Roman time which we are talking about just now.

I am sory to read that your authorities intends closing down your only
historical museum.
Tore