[gothic-l] Scandinavia and Scania Nos 2 - 6 - Home of the Langobards/Lombards

Bertil Häggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Wed Nov 8 20:32:12 UTC 2000

JGP,

This is a list on the Gothic language
so actually I guess that "the island of
the Langobards" is somewhat out
of line, as is the present discussion
on the origon of the word Scandinavia.
The Germanic List was created recently
for the purpose of discussing early
Germanic history.

A number of classical authors point to
Scandinavia/Scania as the original home
of the Langobards.

First we have _Origo gentis Langobardorum_ :

"Est insula qui dicitur Scadanan, quod interpretatur
excidia, in partibus aquilonis, ubi multae gentis
habitant."

Then we have Paul the Deacon and his
_Historia Langobardorum_ who wrote that
the Vinniles migrated from the island of
Scadinavia. This island looked in the
following way:

"Haec igitur insula, sicut retulerunt nobis qui eam
lustraverunt, non tam in mari est posita, quam
marinis fluctibus propter planitiem
marginum terras ambietnibus circumfusa".

There are several names of Scandinavia used
by the classical authors: Scathanavia, Scadanan,
Scadinavia, and Scatenauge. What is partly
treated in my contributions on Scandinavia
and the southernmost province of Sweden,
Scania, is the fact that initially the Romans
only knew about this province and did not
understand that Scandinavia was a large
peninsula. They thought it was an island
and several names was used.

Cannot right now say if Paul the Deacon
exists in an English translation, but I suggest
you check that out. It is always prudent to
rely on the classical authors when trying
to establish these things.

Langobardically

Bertil Haggman