[gothic-l] Ashkenaz

Anthony Appleyard MCLSSAA2 at FS2.MT.UMIST.AC.UK
Thu Nov 9 10:23:29 UTC 2000

  john gregory presco <jrose at efn.org> wrote (Subject: Re: Scandinavia and
Scania Nos 2 - 6):-

> ... My 'Smith's Bible Dictionary' has the Hebrew word Ashkenaz
> "spreading fire" meaning Scand-ia, Scand-inavia. "Knobel considers that
> the Ashkenaz is to be identified with the German race." The Lombards are
> said to be Germans. Ashkenaz was one of the three sons of Gomer, son of
> Japhet.

Erh???? {Ashkenaz} (written in Hebrew as {#-Sh-K-N-Z}) is an easy Hebrew
miscopying for {#-Sh-K-W-Z} = {Ashku:z} = the Scythians (a group of Iranian
steppe nomads): compare Assyrian etc names for the Scythians. {#} is the
glottal stop / aleph.

eLerts