[gothic-l] Ashkenaz

sig sigmund at ALGONET.SE
Thu Nov 9 14:27:15 UTC 2000

Thanks Anthony,

So Askenazim, the upper jewish layers in Israel of to-day, are in effect Scythians! I say. Do the Sefardim know that?
Did the nazis know it? Amusing dark irony, huh?

Hey, this is extremely interesting. I've never seen it proposed before. In everyday practice ashkenazim are "east
European jews" (Polish, Ukranean descent mainly). How come? The jewish migration to eastern Europe occurred in
medieval times and are not descendents of the khazars, whos kingdom north of the Black Sea came to an end 1240 and
whos inhabitants of Judaism faith were never driven away. The East European jewry immigrated from west. Or so it
goes. However, while re-reading "A History of the Jews" by Salomon Greyzel, I find, indeed, that he specifically
mentions three important routes of jewish immigration up till the 14th century; one from western and southern Europe,
the second from the Danube basin (approx. Hungary) and finally a smaller contribution from former Khazar lands,
including the Crimea! Was it perchance this trickle that brought with them memories of former Scythian origins, thus
explaining {#-Sh-K-W-Z} = {Ashku:z} = the Scythians? Remember that Scythian presence on the (Khazar) territories had
lasted for a milennium or so before Goths, Huns, Turks, Khazars etc overran the Ukrainean steppes. Could the populace
have retained some Scythian identity, or at least kept on referring to their geographical origins with age-old
Scythian names??

What do you think?

Seigmund