[gothic-l] Home of the Langobards/Lombards

Bertil Häggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Thu Nov 9 17:39:20 UTC 2000

Tore,

Most of the scholarly literature on the Langobards
place the original home in Skaane. Professors Birger
Nerman and J. Svennung, the German scholarly works I have
read and my contacts in Lombardy tell me that the main
bulk of the huge Italian mass of literature on the Langobards
support this.

But you are wecome to a challenge.

It is also natural to assume that Romans referred to
south Scandinavia as one or several islands. Gotland,
for instance, is way too far north to be considered, in
my humble opinion.

We can discuss further if you so wish the trading routes
with the Romans at the time of the Langobardic migration.

BTW, the Langobards were on the river Elbe around
5 AD, when they were encountered by Tiberius around
Lueneburg south of Hamburg. That makes it probable
that they migrated from Scania around the same time
as the Goths, in the first century BC.

Yes, I agree with you on the museum in Lund.
A catastrophe if all the material from the Uppaakra
Iron Age dig would be transferred to Stockholm.
But this is typical and we are accustomed of having
our riches in this field taken away. Think of all the
runestones that were transported to Stockholm.
My hope is that the estate of Gad Rausing may be
willing to help out.

Langobardically

Bertil