[gothic-l] Re: Ashkenaz

Francisc Czobor czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Sat Nov 11 10:22:26 UTC 2000

But the Khazars were not Scythians (at that time the Scythians already disappared) but a Turkic people. It is true
also that in the mediaeval times, the nomad peoples of the East-European steppes were still designated as Scythians
by the European authors. This was the case of the Goths, but later also the Huns and the Hungarians, for instance,
were referred to as "Scythians". But strictly speaking, the Scythians were an East-Iranic nomad people of the
East-European antiquity, that were replaced later by their relatives, the Sarmatians and later by the Alans. So no
direct connectiond with the Goths, Huns, Khazars, Hungarians etc. It was just a generalization practiced by the Greek
and Latin authors, to denominate as "Scythians" any nomadic people coming from the Eurasiatic steppe.

Fragkisks

GUTANI WIHAILAG

sig wrote:

> Re: Ashkenaz = Scythians
> --
> MCLSSAA2 at fs2.mt.umist.ac.uk wrote:
>
> >No. When Jews needed a Hebrew word for specifically European Jews,
> >they likely took the name Ashkenaz at random out of the Bible.You seem to just presume that the designation
> Ashkenazi arose in Israel. Prove it.--
> JDM strayed off into akkadian etc but then:
> >    Nevertheless, your explanation of Ashkenaz is certainly more plausible
>
> Of course.. :^)
> --
> Rudy Carrera:
>
> >I'm a bit surprised, considering the depth of knowledge list members have on
> >Crimea region, that no one seems to realize that King Bulan (a Khazar) chose
> >Judaism in 8th Century or so, converting his people
>
> Yes we know. We're talking about the late offspring of these as they were migrating on to Poland-Ukraine during
> medieval times and then on to Israel taking with them a conception of themselves as Scythians=Ashkenazim.
>
> >I would surmise, being a layman, that of course these crypto-ethnic-Jews are
> >of Scythian stock,
>
> I wouldn't put it so but maybe through intermarriage they gradually became merged with remaining and returning
> Scythians, finally absorbing age-old Scythian place names and with it some Scythian-land-identity and taking that
> with them to Poland and finally to Israel, where all jews from Eastern Europe were to be identified as
> Ashkenazim=Scythians.
>
> Seigmund

> Homepage: http://www.stormloader.com/carver/gothicl/index.html

eLerts