[gothic-l] Scandinavia and Scania Nos 10-11 - The End at Last

Bertil Häggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Fri Nov 10 18:10:41 UTC 2000

10. The Sami Representation of the World As "The Dangerous Island",
"The Island of Danger"

Sami folklore still has the expression Skadesi-suolo=
"the world". This is probably a Sami translation of
the primitive Scandinavian name: su'olo 'island' is a
Finno-Ugrian word, and the more or less corrupted
skadesi is presumably a loan-word from Germanic
(with a stem in s?; compare Gothic skadhis). The Sami
may, as early as in the first centuries after Christ, have
been in direct contact with the Germanics in Scandinavia.

11. The Concept of skada=harm in present day place-
names in Sweden, Norway and Swedish Finland

Many Scandinavian place-names suggest harmful,
dangerous or risky places, e.g. Skadeland, Skadholmen,
Skadgrund. Notice Skadaflekk in the Shetlands, the name
of an area submerged in high tide.

Finally I have arrived at the end of this somewhat lengthy,
and I hope not too boring attempt to explain the origin
of the name Scandinavia and its connection with Scania,
all of course based on Professor Svennung.

To my horror I found that in this last contribution there
was only one reference to Gothic. Sorry.

Scandinavially

Bertil