[gothic-l] Hyskos, Scythians, and Scots

M. Carver matt at INVISIONSTUDIOSINC.COM
Fri Nov 10 17:04:57 UTC 2000

Hails, John

John, while I don't like to exclude anyone I do need to maintain specific
definition for this list, and that includes letting you know when you go off
topic. I was waiting to see where this thread would go, but frankly I don't
see it adding to knowledge of the Goths in any way, unless you can convince
me otherwise I would ask you to take the discussion to other channels, for
instance Germanic-l or a european history group.

-Matþaius

on 11/10/00 10:40 AM, John Presco at jrose at efn.org wrote:

> Thank all for your in depth responce to my intitial questions. They
> have been most helpful, and pertinent to my study. I am a poet and
> mythographer who has been studying Robert Grave's 'The White Goddess'
> for over three years. I understand he is not an historian or athourity
> on ancient civilizations, but I have found his study of the Bards and
> Welsh poets very helpful in understanding some Biblical mysteries I
> have been looking at. This is an excellant group, and I do not want
> to digress into topics that are not revelant to your interests;
> therefore, let me know (politely) if I crossover the line.
>
> Graves says on page 238 of the WG "At the end of the third millinium
> B.C., and Indo-European tribal confederacy - part of a huge horde
> from central Asia that overran the whole of Asia Minor, Greece, Italy
> and Northern Mesopotania - marched down from Armenia into Syria,
> thense into Syria and Canaan, gathering allies as it went. Some
> tribes under rulers known to the Egyptians as the HYKSOS broke into
> Egypt about 1800 B.C. and were expelled with difficulty two centuries
> later."
>
> Graves identifies the Hyskos as the SCYTHIANS. Some scholars are
> identifying the Scythians as the original Jews. A group of Scottish
> nobles claim they are descended from the Scythians in the 'Arbroath'
> a letter they wrote to the Pope. The Tocharian are said to wear
> plaid, similar to the Scots. Aeneas, the founder of Rome, and lover
> to Dido (also, Elisha) founder of Carthage, is said to have been kin
> to the Trojans, and the Scythians.
>
> the 'Arbroath'
> http://www.geo.ed.ac.uk/home/scotland/arbroath_english.html
>
> Has anyone read 'Hromund's Saga'? Hromund comes to France on a Viking
> raid and is shown the barrel of a Frankish King, a Drauger, who is
> the living-dead, an immortal? He is also a BERSERK, which the
> translator in his notes say means "bear's coat" or shirt. Did the
> Franks ever invade the Norselands? I am finding some similarities in
> this story, and the history of the Langobards, to some Grail Legends.
> I am wondering if the ASHKINAZ, possibly the nomadic SCYTHIANS, are
> the link to many legends, myths, and actual history. What the posters
> are doing in this group is putting many pieces of the puzzle in
> place. Any leads to books on the Langobards would be appreciated.
>
> Jon Presco

eGroups eLerts