[gothic-l] Gothic neologisms

M. Carver matt at INVISIONSTUDIOSINC.COM
Tue Nov 14 02:00:09 UTC 2000

on 11/13/00 4:13 PM, Anthony.Appleyard at umist.ac.uk at
Anthony.Appleyard at umist.ac.uk wrote:

> This seems to lead to the question: if there was a Gothic-speaking
> people alive now, when they come across things which were found or
> invented outside, which would they take the foreign word for? and
> which would they invent a word for?

We might wish to "fill in the vocabulary of the Goths" according to a system
devised in such a way as to be in keeping with that already existing, i.e.
to create a continuous, harmonious body of work (given the amount of
variation and harmony as per the genuine precedent). We see most often
calquing I think, though some borrowing occurs, mainly where personal names
are concerned, but also in certain concepts for which Wulfila (or whoever
was translating) felt that no Gothic word or calque could sufficiently
replace, e.g. intrusgjan < Lat. introsecare.

Matþaius