[gothic-l] James Marchand

M. Carver matt at INVISIONSTUDIOSINC.COM
Tue Nov 14 23:50:59 UTC 2000

on 11/14/00 3:26 PM, B. Gendler at gendler at panikon.com wrote:.

> All of the references I have found say "adulterer" for "hors."
> J. Wright connects it to the Anglo-Saxon "hore," which makes
> it the same root as our modern "whore." J.R. Clarke Hall
> lists "hore" as "whore, prostitute." There is also the Old Norse
> "horr" (= adulterer acc to La Farge & Tucker) and "hor" (=
> adulterer, paramour, lover acc to same). What he (the journalist)
> may have been implying was that he found a new meaning,
> not a new word (just a guess here) but this word has sparked
> my interest. Does anybody know more cognates? Feel free to
> send them to me offlist. More importantly, does anybody have
> any evidence linking this word with "pimp"???
>
> any suggestions or comments welcome,
> Gendler.

It seems that this translation was a humorous usage of modern terminology,
though perhaps not fitting accurately the Gothic word; yet one might call
even today someone who "has many exploits" a "pimp", I'm not sure however
that it could apply; perhaps more precisely a pimp is a "Horins" or
"horinareis", i.e. one who deals in whores. The Got. word in question is
ho'rs (Koe 273) "adulterer, fornicator" i.e. moixos, pornos; Hurer,
Ehebrecher; fornicarius, fornicator.

-Matþaius