[gothic-l] James Marchand

B. Gendler gendler at PANIKON.COM
Tue Nov 14 22:26:08 UTC 2000

>From: Magnus Hreinn Snaedal <hreinn at ismal.hi.is>

> Yes, James W. Marchand is a well known Gothic scholar.
> But that he "has discovered several unknown Gothic words, including 'hors',
> meaning pimp" must be a misunderstanding of the jurnalist. The word 'hors'
> has been known fora a long time, as it is attested in Luke 18:11 and five
> times in the Pauline Epistles.
>
> M.Sn.

All of the references I have found say "adulterer" for "hors."
J. Wright connects it to the Anglo-Saxon "hore," which makes
it the same root as our modern "whore." J.R. Clarke Hall
lists "hore" as "whore, prostitute." There is also the Old Norse
"horr" (= adulterer acc to La Farge & Tucker) and "hor" (=
adulterer, paramour, lover acc to same). What he (the journalist)
may have been implying was that he found a new meaning,
not a new word (just a guess here) but this word has sparked
my interest. Does anybody know more cognates? Feel free to
send them to me offlist. More importantly, does anybody have
any evidence linking this word with "pimp"???

any suggestions or comments welcome,
         Gendler.

eGroups eLerts