[gothic-l] A Vandal language list (rather long)

Bertil Häggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Fri Nov 17 06:41:58 UTC 2000

Frank,

This is of course a huge undertaking. Maybe
Tim could consider taking such webpages
on his Germanic homepage?

Personally I was thinking of the Vandals and
the fragmentary remains of that language.

Here is a preliminary list of what such a catalogue
of words could contain (just a preliminary suggestion).

Hasdings
Silings
Ambri,Assi (the oldest Vandal personal names)
Hraos, Hraftus
I(n)gila (a captured Vandal military leader 276-282 AD)
Visimar (slain Vandal military leader in fighting Gothic
King Geberic (331-337) and his army)
Stilicho (most famous Vandal in Roman service)
Godagisl (early Vandal king)
Fridubalth (the last independent Silingi king)
Guntharix (oldest son of Godagisl)
Geisarix (Vandal king, half brother of Guntharix?)
Hildica (Geisarix' chancellor)
Theudarjo or Theodarju
Dagila (Vandal noble lady)
Andwit (Arian priest under Geisarix)
Hunarix (oldest son of Geisarix (passed away 477 AD)
Gintun (seecond son of Geisarix)
Theudarix (Geisarix youngest son)
Svesaon (a relative of Geisarix)
Gamuth (brother of Hildica)
Gabadus
Vitarith (legal officer under Hunarix)
Cyrila (Vandal patriarch in North Africa)
Marivadus (Arian priest)
'Froja armes' (Vandal language remain)
Guntahamund (Vandal king 484-496)
Ansila
Godagis (brother of Gunthamund)
Geilarith (another brother of Gunthamund)
Thrasamund (Vandal King 496-523)
Pinta (Arian Vandal bishop)
Fridamal (Vandal nobleman)
Baudus
Blumarith
Hohageis (brother of Hohamir?)
Fridus
Vandalarix (honorary title for King Hildirix)
Etemund (poet?)
Hildirix (Vandal king 523-530)
Hohamir (brother of Hohageis?)
Geilamir (son of Geilarith)
Amata (brother of Geilamir)
Tata (last of the Hasdings)
Gibamund (military leader under Geilamir)
Gunthimir (military leader under Geilamir)
Guththeus (diplomat under Geilamir)
Raginari
Gardingi (Vandal title)
Stutja (possibly a Vandal Roman commander)
Harjarith (possibly a Vandal Roman commander)
Fronimuth (a dux Romanorum)

There are various variations of the writing of these
names and the list is of course not complete. Additions
are welcome.

Vandalically

Bertil