[gothic-l] Re: A Vandal language list (rather long)

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Fri Nov 17 08:38:33 UTC 2000

Hi,

there is a huge research project at the University of Duisburg
(Germany) on this  subject called "nomen et gens" as part of a project
called 'gens alamannorum' which compiles  Germanic personal names of
all Germanic tribes, with the aim to analyse them and to make them
available electronically. The following link takes you to the project
and sets out the scientific criteria etc. Maybe you want to get in
contact with them to avaoid dublicating work.

http://www.uni-duisburg.de/FB1/GESCHICHTE/NomenAlem.htm

Dirk

--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, Bertil Häggman <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
> Frank,
>
> This is of course a huge undertaking. Maybe
> Tim could consider taking such webpages
> on his Germanic homepage?
>
> Personally I was thinking of the Vandals and
> the fragmentary remains of that language.
>
> Here is a preliminary list of what such a catalogue
> of words could contain (just a preliminary suggestion).
>
> Hasdings
> Silings
> Ambri,Assi (the oldest Vandal personal names)
> Hraos, Hraftus
> I(n)gila (a captured Vandal military leader 276-282 AD)
> Visimar (slain Vandal military leader in fighting Gothic
> King Geberic (331-337) and his army)
> Stilicho (most famous Vandal in Roman service)
> Godagisl (early Vandal king)
> Fridubalth (the last independent Silingi king)
> Guntharix (oldest son of Godagisl)
> Geisarix (Vandal king, half brother of Guntharix?)
> Hildica (Geisarix' chancellor)
> Theudarjo or Theodarju
> Dagila (Vandal noble lady)
> Andwit (Arian priest under Geisarix)
> Hunarix (oldest son of Geisarix (passed away 477 AD)
> Gintun (seecond son of Geisarix)
> Theudarix (Geisarix youngest son)
> Svesaon (a relative of Geisarix)
> Gamuth (brother of Hildica)
> Gabadus
> Vitarith (legal officer under Hunarix)
> Cyrila (Vandal patriarch in North Africa)
> Marivadus (Arian priest)
> 'Froja armes' (Vandal language remain)
> Guntahamund (Vandal king 484-496)
> Ansila
> Godagis (brother of Gunthamund)
> Geilarith (another brother of Gunthamund)
> Thrasamund (Vandal King 496-523)
> Pinta (Arian Vandal bishop)
> Fridamal (Vandal nobleman)
> Baudus
> Blumarith
> Hohageis (brother of Hohamir?)
> Fridus
> Vandalarix (honorary title for King Hildirix)
> Etemund (poet?)
> Hildirix (Vandal king 523-530)
> Hohamir (brother of Hohageis?)
> Geilamir (son of Geilarith)
> Amata (brother of Geilamir)
> Tata (last of the Hasdings)
> Gibamund (military leader under Geilamir)
> Gunthimir (military leader under Geilamir)
> Guththeus (diplomat under Geilamir)
> Raginari
> Gardingi (Vandal title)
> Stutja (possibly a Vandal Roman commander)
> Harjarith (possibly a Vandal Roman commander)
> Fronimuth (a dux Romanorum)
>
> There are various variations of the writing of these
> names and the list is of course not complete. Additions
> are welcome.
>
> Vandalically
>
> Bertil
>

> > As Bertil mentioned, there are some Germanic languages the
knowledge of
> > which are fragmentary . . .  How about putting up
lists/catalogues/lexicons
> > of the known Burgundian, Langobardic, etc. words and proper names?
> >
> > I'd be willing to help compile them, if only someone would point
out some
> > sources to me and help "germanicizing" Latinate versions (like
Langobardic
> > "Albion," for one).  I mean, secondary sources . . . ;)  I know
enough to
> > dig through the Burgundian law codes and the Langobard histories,
plus I've
> > got some words I'd written down for reference (though that means
going
> > through six years of class and research notes) . . .

eLerts