[gothic-l] Another homepage suggestion . . .

Tim O'Neill scatha at BIGPOND.COM
Fri Nov 17 09:41:04 UTC 2000

Frank Kermes wrote:

> As Bertil mentioned, there are some Germanic languages the knowledge of
> which are fragmentary . . .  How about putting up lists/catalogues/lexi
> cons of the known Burgundian, Langobardic, etc. words and proper names?
>
> I'd be willing to help compile them, if only someone would point out
> some sources to me and help "germanicizing" Latinate versions (like
> Langobardic "Albion," for one).  I mean, secondary sources . . . ;)
> I know enough to dig through the Burgundian law codes and the
> Langobard histories, plus I've got some words I'd written down for
> reference (though that means going through six years of class and
> research notes) . . .

Sounds like an excellent project.  For an index of earlier Germanic names
see:
http://tetrad.stanford.edu/newfiles/GazetteEarlyGermanNames.html

I'd be happy to help by hosting the results of such a comprehensive list
of non-Gothic early Germanic words and names at *Theudawurdò.
Alternatively the site will have an articles page fairly soon, so if
either you or Bertil wanted to write an article on the subject I'd be
happy to publish it there.  You can find *Theudawurdò at:
http://pages.ancientsites.com/~Thiudareiks_Flavius/germanic-l.html

Cheers,

Tim O'Neill

eLerts