[gothic-l] Re: A Vandal language list (rather long)

sig sigmund at ALGONET.SE
Fri Nov 17 12:34:35 UTC 2000

Thanks,

 By clicking hither and thither I finally stumbled on:

Luis A. GARCÍA MORENO, Gothic Survivals in the Visigothic
Kingdoms of Toulouse and Toledo,
in: Francia 21/1, 1994, S. 1

Does anyone have it or knows something about it?

It was found @ =>
http://www.phil.uni-erlangen.de/~p1ges/zfhm/zfhm.html

S.

dirk at smra.co.uk wrote:

> Hi,
>
> there is a huge research project at the University of Duisburg
> (Germany) on this  subject called "nomen et gens" as part of a project
> called 'gens alamannorum' which compiles  Germanic personal names of
> all Germanic tribes, with the aim to analyse them and to make them
> available electronically. The following link takes you to the project
> and sets out the scientific criteria etc. Maybe you want to get in
> contact with them to avaoid dublicating work.
>
> http://www.uni-duisburg.de/FB1/GESCHICHTE/NomenAlem.htm
>
> Dirk
>
> --- In gothic-l at egroups.com, Bertil Häggman <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
> > Frank,
> >
> > This is of course a huge undertaking. Maybe
> > Tim could consider taking such webpages
> > on his Germanic homepage?
> >
> > Personally I was thinking of the Vandals and
> > the fragmentary remains of that language.
> >
> > Here is a preliminary list of what such a catalogue
> > of words could contain (just a preliminary suggestion).
> >
> > Hasdings
> > Silings
> > Ambri,Assi (the oldest Vandal personal names)
> > Hraos, Hraftus
> > I(n)gila (a captured Vandal military leader 276-282 AD)
> > Visimar (slain Vandal military leader in fighting Gothic
> > King Geberic (331-337) and his army)
> > Stilicho (most famous Vandal in Roman service)
> > Godagisl (early Vandal king)
> > Fridubalth (the last independent Silingi king)
> > Guntharix (oldest son of Godagisl)
> > Geisarix (Vandal king, half brother of Guntharix?)
> > Hildica (Geisarix' chancellor)
> > Theudarjo or Theodarju
> > Dagila (Vandal noble lady)
> > Andwit (Arian priest under Geisarix)
> > Hunarix (oldest son of Geisarix (passed away 477 AD)
> > Gintun (seecond son of Geisarix)
> > Theudarix (Geisarix youngest son)
> > Svesaon (a relative of Geisarix)
> > Gamuth (brother of Hildica)
> > Gabadus
> > Vitarith (legal officer under Hunarix)
> > Cyrila (Vandal patriarch in North Africa)
> > Marivadus (Arian priest)
> > 'Froja armes' (Vandal language remain)
> > Guntahamund (Vandal king 484-496)
> > Ansila
> > Godagis (brother of Gunthamund)
> > Geilarith (another brother of Gunthamund)
> > Thrasamund (Vandal King 496-523)
> > Pinta (Arian Vandal bishop)
> > Fridamal (Vandal nobleman)
> > Baudus
> > Blumarith
> > Hohageis (brother of Hohamir?)
> > Fridus
> > Vandalarix (honorary title for King Hildirix)
> > Etemund (poet?)
> > Hildirix (Vandal king 523-530)
> > Hohamir (brother of Hohageis?)
> > Geilamir (son of Geilarith)
> > Amata (brother of Geilamir)
> > Tata (last of the Hasdings)
> > Gibamund (military leader under Geilamir)
> > Gunthimir (military leader under Geilamir)
> > Guththeus (diplomat under Geilamir)
> > Raginari
> [...]

eLerts