[gothic-l] Re: A Vandal language list (rather long)

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Fri Nov 17 14:15:21 UTC 2000

>--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, Bertil Häggman <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
>
>> 'Froja armes' (Vandal language remain)
>
>This was written on an Arian altar in North Africa, meaning "Domine
>miserere" (cf. an earlier message on this list...)
>This sentence is in fact Gothic: in Wulfilan Gothic it would be spelt
>"Frauja armeis"
>How could this be interpreted? I see two possibilities:
>1. The Vandalic, being an East-Germanic language, was very closely
>related to Gothic (or even a Gothic dialect);
>2. The sentence is in fact Gothic; the Arian Vandals used Gothic as a
>worship language, being the language of the Wulfilan Arian Bible.

The Germanic peoples that early converted to Christianity were Arians. The
Franks did not convert until it was time to convert to the Catolic faith.

 As The Bible was translated into Gothic this was of course the religious
language. As a matter of fact the bible was translated into Gothic almost
100 years before it was translated into Latin. Wulfila's bible translation
into Gothic must have helped the Gothic language becoming an important
language for all the Germaic peoples that had relations with the Goths.
(compare Martin Luther's translation of the Bible into the German language.)
Tore

>Fragkisks
>
>GUTANI WIHAILAG
>

>You are a member of the Gothic-L list.  To unsubscribe, send a blank email
>to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.
>Homepage: http://www.stormloader.com/carver/gothicl/index.html

eGroups eLerts