[gothic-l] Re: A Vandal language list (rather long)

keth at ONLINE.NO keth at ONLINE.NO
Sat Nov 18 14:02:20 UTC 2000

Tore wrote:
> As The Bible was translated into Gothic this was of course the religious
>language. As a matter of fact the bible was translated into Gothic almost
>100 years before it was translated into Latin. Wulfila's bible translation
>into Gothic must have helped the Gothic language becoming an important
>language for all the Germaic peoples that had relations with the Goths.
>(compare Martin Luther's translation of the Bible into the German language.)
>Tore

I found this interesting and tried to read up on it.
There existed various latin Bible translations
called Vetus latina, already in the 2nd century.
However, most educated Romans were able to read
Greek, and therefore, it was probably the Greek
NT as well as Septuagint that were used most frequently.

Due to the many variations in the latin Bible texts
that were used, a revision was comissioned by Damasus
in 383 to Hieronymus. It was the latter version that
later became known as the Vulgata.

Since Wulfilas is supposed to have died in the same year
(383?), it is clear that his Gothic Bible translation
must have been earlier than the Hieronymus revision.
Do you incidentally know if Wulfilas managed to
translate the whole Bible (OT + NT), or was it just
a partial translation that he managed to complete?

Keth