[gothic-l] Hildebrandslied

Tim O'Neill scatha at BIGPOND.COM
Fri Nov 17 20:48:58 UTC 2000

jdm314 at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 11/17/00 3:47:39 AM, you wrote:
>
> <<Which is a pity - the _Hildibranslied_ is a remarkable poem which,
>
> given its direct reference to Odoacer, probably has its origins sometime
>
> in the late fifth century.  I'm writing an article at the moment on the
>
> poem, its story and some hypothetical historical points of origin.
>
> Cheers,
>

> Interesting. What is the form of the name Odoacer in the poem?

>From the poem:

'Hadubrant gimahalta, Hiltibrantes sunu :
« dat sagetun mi usere liuti,
alte anti frote, dea erhina warun,
dat Hiltibrant haetti min fater ; ih heittu Hadubrant.
forn her ostar giweit -- floh her **Otachres** nid --
hina miti Theotrihhe enti sinero degano Filu.
her furlaet in lante luttila sitten,
prut in bure, barn unwahsan,
arbeo laosa : her raet ostar hina.
des sid Detrihhe darba gistuontun
fateres mines: dat uuas so friuntlaos man.
her was **Otachre** unmet tirri,
degano dechisto miti Deotrichhe.
her was eo folches at ente, imo was eo fehta ti leop :
chud was her uuito chonnem mannum.
ni waniu ih iu lib habbe. »'

You can hear a recording of these sections here:
http://hub.ib.hu-berlin.de/~hab/arnd/H-14-19.aif
http://hub.ib.hu-berlin.de/~hab/arnd/H-20-29.aif

And this link includes a leaf from the MS and the full text in OHG:
http://www.usd.edu/eric/deutsch/literatur/projekt/works/
hildebrandslied.html
(The introduction is dubious though, as it says the mention of
Theodoric places it in the *seventh* century!)

You can see a modern English translation here:
http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/hildebrand.html

Cheers,

Tim O'Neill
http://pages.ancientsites.com/~Thiudareiks_Flavius/germanic-l.html