[gothic-l] Hildebrandslied Reconstruction

Philip Rusche ruschep at NEVADA.EDU
Fri Nov 17 23:08:18 UTC 2000

It's been years since I've seen it but if I remember correctly the author's
name was Willi Krogmann (though I'm not positive about the spelling; I think
that's it).  I thought it was into Langobardic.  I will try to look up a
reference for it if no one else happens to have it.

Philip Rusche

> I've read references to a reconstruction of the OHG _Hildibrandslied_
> in *Gepidic.  I wish I could remember the name of the early 20th C
> German scholar who composed it, but it was in support of his
> thesis that the poem was originally composed in the Gepidic language.
> This would be nice if it were true, but I think this is pretty dubious.
> I've often tried to find his reconstruction though, but I've never
> managed to locate it.
>
> Which is a pity - the _Hildibranslied_ is a remarkable poem which,
> given its direct reference to Odoacer, probably has its origins sometime
> in the late fifth century.  I'm writing an article at the moment on the
> poem, its story and some hypothetical historical points of origin.
> Cheers,

eGroups eLerts