[gothic-l] Three Gothic Migrations from south Scandinavia?

Bertil Häggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Sun Nov 19 14:01:33 UTC 2000

Tore,

Yes, there is in my personal opinion well founded
reasons to believe that a first Gothic migration
took place from Gotland around 300 BC. The
reason might have been to establish forward trading
posts to control the amber trade.

A second migration then took place from the
whole Goetaland area mainly Oestergoetland
and Vaestergoetland.

The third wave included the Gepids and by now
a Gothicization started to take place of part
of the original population in the area.

Thus Jordanes might refer to the second wave
of migration.under King Berig.

It would be interesting to know your opinion of
such a chronology?

Gothically

Bertil

> The Swedish professor Oscar Almgren found an emigration from Gotland
> 200-300 BC. However he could not find where they went. Not until _Schaetze
> der Ostgoten_ appered could I prove the Gotlandic emigration mentioned by
> Oscar Almgren be linked with the graves in zone A of the Wielbark culture.
> When I discuss this standpoint in Sweden it is noticed with favour by
> academics.

eLerts