[gothic-l] Re: Russ/ross

John Presco jrose at EFN.ORG
Mon Nov 20 16:49:29 UTC 2000

In Spain there was an ancient goddess worshipped by the Celts, and
perhaps the Visagoths, called, Rosmerthe? I can see how she may fit
into this name group, I long wondering if her name meant, Rosemary -
Rosemerry, Merryrose, merthe being mirth? But Rausmerthe, and
Hrothmarhs, and Rothmerr perhaps work? This goddess may be a horse
goddess, gods and goddesses offering protection "mund". This is not
my field, I too finding names to be good clues in my research.

Also, a Bohemian historian claims the history of Peter Von Rosenberg
is stored in Stockholm. Here is a site on this Bohemian statesman
that new John Dee, and took a "chivalrous ride" with William of
Orange to the Netherlands. He was close with Emperor Rudolph, and
married a Scwarzenberg. He appears to have been a secret Pythagerean,
and alchemist, he worshipping a skull over his table. He made gold
medallions for his friends to wear around their neck, so as to find
them in the Afterlife, the Underworld where Orpheus went to retrieve
his lover? I think Peter collected forbidden knowlege - perhaps
Gothic? The article on his archives says there are missing books. I
see there are Scandanavian scholars here who might find a lead, see
what is in these chests themselves?

Jon

http://www.ckrumlov.cz/uk/osobno/i_pevoro.htm

-- In gothic-l at egroups.com, keth at o... wrote:
> Matþaius wrote:
> >Hails
> >
> >The element rus- in names seems to meen rust or rusty color;
perhaps
> >referring to 'reddish' hair? cf. Rosomil, Rosmunda, Rosamunda,
Rosamud,

> Rosamunde or Roswitha (not uncommon German woman's names) are
supposed
> to derive from a word hroth = fame + ending protection/strong.
> An English name like Roger also derives from a root meaning fame
> ( < Hrothgar). A Scandinavian variant is Roar.
>

> >Rosamoni < *Rusamals? *Rusamunda (, *Rusamods), *Rusamunan. At
least we know
> >of Go. rauþs and rusma, both meaning red. Another possibility
which Koebler
> >overlooks (perhaps for good reason?) but I find intriguing is the
> >element Raus 'fame', as in Rausimodus. This at least seems much
more in
> >keeping with naming tradition; often this au "diphthong" is seen
in latinic
> >transcriptions as 'o'.
>

> >The goths, at least of Wulfila's era, used the word 'marhs' to
indicate
> >horse, though certain types of horses had specific names, e.g.
Guta "Gothic"
> >(perhaps not used by the Goths themselves), Bala "Blaze" whence
Byzantine