[gothic-l] Ostrogoths and Eagles

keth at ONLINE.NO keth at ONLINE.NO
Tue Nov 21 00:38:32 UTC 2000

>Hi, a short question: is there any information about the meaning of
>the eagle in Ostrogothic culture? Given all the Ostrogothic eagle
>fibulae, the eagle seems to have been of special significance to them.
>What is its meaning...a royal symbol? and/or spiritual symbol? After
>Theoderic had become master of Italy, he ordered the minting of large
>copper coins (40 nummi) at Rome showing the bust of Roma on the avers
>and an Eagle on the reverse. With this issue Theoderic clearly wanted
>to legitimise his rule, by using the Roma bust and the (some may say
>cynical) inscpription 'ROMA INVICTA'. But he also had an eagle put on
>the reverse, which in this context was not known to the Romans. Romans
>had used the eagle on coins that commemorated dead emperors, with the
>eagle on an alter that carries the soul to the gods, but they had
>never used the eagle as standard reverse design.  Could the decision
>to use the Roma bust and Invicta inscription together with an
>Ostrogothic eagle be an attempt to signal both continuity and the
>assertion of new rulers? Any thoughts on the Ostrogothic eagle symbol
>would be welcome.
>
>Dirk

To tell you the truth: I haven't the slightest.
But I have also noted the Gothic eagle decorations.
(were they only East-gothic?) The texts under the
photos did however not give the slightest hint
on its significance.

The Romans must also have used an eagle as standard.
At least I think I have seen that on several occasions.
With the Romans the eagle may have been a symbol of Jupiter.
I think I've heard the eagle described as "Jupiter's bird".

Also on shield decorations like those on Sutton Hoo, birds
are found with curved beaks -- birds of prey I'd say.
Are they ravens or eagles?

In Christianity, the eagle was also used as symbol of John
the baptist. One might thus ask whether the year you mention
(in what year were the coins issued?) saw the Goths as
generally Christianized, and thus using Christian symbols,
or whether the eagle was a continuation of earlier
non-Christian symbolism.

The vikings are said to have used a raven figure on
their battle standards. We often hear about the
battle-standard playing an important role in viking
battles. The raven is also often referred to in
skaldic poetry as the bird that "is given food"
during battle. An eagle may of course have played
a similar role. A famous eagle in the Edda is called
Hraesvelgr, who is actually a Jotunn who has taken on
the shape of an eagle. Hraesvelgr means "body-swallower".
He is said to sit "at heavens edge" (á himins enda)
and to be the cause of all wind as he moves his wings.
(af hans vengjum kveða vind koma)

Keth