[gothic-l] The Langobards on Gotland, now Odin

B. Gendler gendler at PANIKON.COM
Tue Nov 21 03:31:11 UTC 2000

----------
>From: keth at online.no

> I found out from perusal of Paulus Diaconus "The History
> of the Langobards" that "Wotan" is supposed to have been honoured
> by all peoples of Germania as a god, but that it was a "long
> time ago but not in Germania, but in Greece".
>                                          (Hist. Lang. § 9)
>
> Since "Greece" in the time of Paulus Diaconus indicated
> Byzantium, which was where the the ancient city of Troy lay,
> this would constitute another confirmation of Snorri's
> information that Odin originally came from "Asia".
> (Aesir as "men from Asia" - probably Asia minor)

probably from Adonai, "lord." I have often noted that the Semitic pagan
mythologies have a hell of a lot in common with the Germanic pantheon as we
seem to know it. Adonai, by the way, was taken into Greek as "Adonis."
speculation.

Gendler.

eGroups eLerts