[gothic-l] The Langobards on Gotland, now Odin

keth at ONLINE.NO keth at ONLINE.NO
Tue Nov 21 18:12:48 UTC 2000

Gendler wrote:
(about Wotan/Odin)
>probably from Adonai, "lord." I have often noted that the Semitic pagan
>mythologies have a hell of a lot in common with the Germanic pantheon as we
>seem to know it. Adonai, by the way, was taken into Greek as "Adonis."
>speculation.

Interesting. I hadn't thought of that.
Another correspondence is between "Frey" and "Pharaoh".
Those who know Hebrew may perhaps attest that there
is a semitic word "pru" or something like that,
meaning "fertility/fruitfulness" or something akin to that.
I've also heard that "Frey" may also be related to a word for "seed".
But I don't know how solid this is, nor how it could have happened.

The other day we were also discussing the Old Norse name of
Athens as "Óðinsborg", "Oþinsborg" or some similar spelling.
(source = Postulo sögur, an Icelandic Ms. dealing with the vitae of the
apostles)
We thought the reason must have been the (superficial) resemblance
of the goddess Pallas Athene with Odin (both spear and helm + bird on
shoulder) It would surprise me if there was a real connection.

Keth

eGroups eLerts