[gothic-l] The Langobards from Scania/Scadanan

bertil mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Tue Nov 21 10:15:32 UTC 2000

Dirk,

It might well be that Paul the Deacon was
influenced by Jordanes, but so far I have
not seen any evidence of that. And even
if he hypothetically was, that does not
affect the validity of his writing.

For the benefit of the list participants who are
not so much into the details of the Germanic
peoples maybe you could provide some quotes. I will
be happy to provide the proto-viking quote from
Professor Pritsak. It is just that I don't have
his massive work at hand just know, but I can promise
further on this later.

But I think it would be valuable if we tried to
differ between Germans and Germanic peoples.
Not all Germanic peoples have their origin in
Germany. Many have, and don't think it would cross
the mind of any Scandinavian to try to include
the Suebi or the Alemanni as originating in
Scandinavia.

Gothically

Bertil
> it is possible that a small Langobardic group maybe a royal clan came
> to the main Langobardic settlement area in North Germany from
> Scandinavia.

eGroups eLerts