[gothic-l] The Langobards from Scania/Scadanan

bertil mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Tue Nov 21 08:20:53 UTC 2000

Dirk,

What about the testimony of the Langobards
themselves. They could have chosen a much
more glorious past but believed themselves
that they originated in Scania/Scandza. Just
as in the case of Jordanes I think that the
ancient histories are the primary sources.

Most historians treating the question of the
origin of the Langobards agree to a Scanian
homeland.

Langobardically

Bertil

Also, the Uelzen area which is
> seen as the centre of the Langobards (still called Langobarden gau in
> the 12th century) in the 1st and 2nd century AD was one of the most
> densely populated areas in northern Europe since neolithic times and
> thus highly unsuitable to receive migrators.

eLerts