[gothic-l] The Gothic and Eruli Proto-Vikings

bertil mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Tue Nov 21 14:33:34 UTC 2000

Dirk,

You are trying to assume a logic that
does not exist. The Frank- (German
Frankreich) in France is related to the Franks,
the original home of the Franks. Franken has
in my opinion nothing to do with that. We are
referring to nations not regions.

Of course there are a number of other peoples
that make up the Germans, and I would never dream
of claiming a Scandinavian home for these peoples.
So the differnce here is that I am not claiming
any origin for the Germanic peoples while you seem
unwilling to accept any Scandinavian origin.
>From your contributions I now have a good hunch
concerning your standpoint and everybody is free
to have his/hers opinion. Your arguments have
not convinced me neither have those arguments
you refer to on another list. I wish you good
luck on that list.

Of course you are upset over the term "proto-vikings"
for the Eruli and Gothic raiders. I understand that
and you are welcome to present your arguments in good
time against the fact that they showed great aptitude
as sea raiders.

No, I don't look upon them as Swedes, as they did not
come from the Lake Maelaren region of the Svear.

Best of luck

Bertil

> Sorry, but I can only repeat: the fact that a certain tribe was
> placed
> by Tacitus to what is now Germany does not make this tribe
> proto-modern German. In fact, this tribe may have had far less impact
> on the later history of this territory than for example Slavs that
> replaced them later. Similary, the fact that the Gothic history
> states
> that they come from Scandinavia does not make them proto-Swedish. I
> only want to point to the danger of trying to attach some sort of
> national emplems to those peoples like calling the Goths
> proto-Vikings, which, in my view, is close to calling them
> proto-Swedes.  It is safe to assume that Tacitus' attributions were
> more or less correct at his time. Any further analysis must start
> from
> there, even if some people feel uneasy about that.
>

> Have a look at the discussion on the archaeology list, especially the
> comments about some Swedish scholars and their pre-ocupation with
> Swedish Gothicsim.
>
> In general, I believe we will have to (once again) agree to disagree!
>
> greetings
> Dirk

> Homepage: http://www.stormloader.com/carver/gothicl/index.html

eGroups eLerts