[gothic-l] The Gothic and Eruli Proto-Vikings

Bertil Häggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Tue Nov 21 17:47:55 UTC 2000

Dirk,

Maybe part of the problem is that you seem
to be holding views on Scandinavia and
its history, archaelogy and philology without
speaking, reading or writing (correct me
if I am wrong) Danish, Norwegian Swedish,
or Icelandic. Still you seem to have firm ideas.

Take for instance your use of Gothicism. The Swedish
gothicism was an idea of the Svear, who dominate
in Sweden. They took on what they claimed
to be a Gothic heritage, but in reality the
Gothic heritage (if there is one) belongs
to the Goetar. Maybe you should consider
the history of Swedish/Svear gothicism
before you introduce such a term. There was
also Spanish, Austrian and English Gothicism.

> I have not problem to accept that various Germanic peoples came from
> Scandinavia.

Dirk, that is good, really good.

> I am not upset about the term proto-viking, but I think it does not
> make a lot of sense, unless you want to imply that the Goths are the
> ancestors of the Vikings or something.

Well, here is a quote from Professor Omeljan Pritsak's
massive _The Origin of Rus - Voume One - Old Scandinavian
Sources other than the Sagas_, Harvard University Press, 1981:

The Contacts between the Germanic and Steppe peoples

"On the Germanic side, the main partners of the steppe
peoples were the Bastarnae, (H)Eruls, Goths, Gepids,
Vandals (both groups - the Siling and the (H)Asding),
and Langobards (Lombards). All these groups can be
regarded not only as the predecessors but also as the
models of the Vikings."

I hold much of Professor Pritsak because he is a great
Scandinavian history scholar (and speaks the language).
Can recommend to you his work (it is in English, not a
Scandinavian language).

Personally I am very interested in German history, read,
write and speak German, (would even say rather effortless
when it comes to the two first, my writing is not so good).
But I would never claim to be an expert. But you seem to
claim expertise in Scandiavian matters without knowing
the language. That actually, Dirk, bothers me.

Skaal and good luck !

Bertil

eLerts