[gothic-l] Re: The Langobards from Scania/Scadanan

Bengt Hemtun hemtun at SWIPNET.SE
Tue Nov 21 11:18:09 UTC 2000

Thanks Dirk

 for bringing in archaeology to the discussion. I do not trust
in
occasional Roman notes about tribes without archaeological physical
evidence confirming. The Scandinavians were Germanic people and they
belonged to the Celts and at least some belonged to the Swebian
league some finds show. I note also the Celtic neck-ring in Northern
Germany and the biggest found in Poland!
.
The linguists tell that the Scandinavian languages are Germanic. The
Gothic is an East Germanic language according to my Oxford concise.
Is there any kinship there? I mean between Gothic and Germanic people.
Once I made a list of German tribes mentioned by Tacitus 55 - 120 AD.
This does not mean that he knew all German tribes!
The listed tribes are a pick-out from the books about Germania with
the number mentioned if given.
.
Angli third of seven tribes at Anglia (Aviones, Nuithones, Suardones,
Teutones, etc.) Germania 40
Angrivari at Allers/Wesser together with Chamaves they banished the
Brukts Germania 33
Chasuari and Chattuari inland Frisia
Batavi was a Chatti tribe on an island at the mouth of Rhine Germania
29
Burgundians at Weichsel pacified in 250 AD and in 277 AD north of
Alamanni near Mainz
Chatti were the dominating tribe living on the other side of the
Mattiakes. J Grimm tells they lived in Hessenin and were together
with the Frisi the only survivors of the old tribes. Germania 30
Chauki inland of Frisia and neighbour to the Chatti
Cheruski in the same neighbourhood.
Dulgibini and Chattuari Germania 34
Fenni, Venede, Slav, Peucini Germania 46
Fosi neighbour to the Cheruski Germani 36
Hellusii and Oxioni with human face on animal body lived in
Scandinavia
Hermundurii later called Thüringians lived around the wells of
Elbe
at Werra and Saale Germania 41
Kvades in Mähren Germania 42
Lombards downstreams Elbe alied with the Kvades after being defeated
by Tiberius
Lemovi and Rugi in Pommern
Lugi. Hari, Helvecons, Manimi, Helisi at Riesengebirge and the Sudets
Germania 43
Marcomanni in Bohemia
Mattiaci south Batavians near Wiesbaden Germania 39
Naharnavales. Warthe
Nariski near the Hermunduri (Thuringians) Germania 42
Nemeti, Vangini, Tribokes on the shores of Rhine
Nervij at Eiffel near Sambre and Schelde
Semnoni most noble in the Suebian league
Suebi consisted of 54 tribes (Orosius) from Danube to the North Sea
such as Alamanni, Kvades, Semnoni, Marcomanni Germania 58
Tenkteri near Cologne Germania 32
Ubians at Cologne
Usipetes at Bingen Germania 32

I am sorry if I have not get all the endings right. My Latin could be
better. The texts are translated from Swedish.
The list does not get them all but is still a time cut from the age
of Tacitus. I see that Ptolemeius have some more names at the coasts
on the Baltic Seas Surely he knew some Scandinavian that informed him
about some of the tribes in Scandinavia too.
I note that the tribes Chali, Charudes, Chedini have the same prefix
CH as Cheruski, Chatti, Chauki whatever that means. Some question
marks it sets ?????
.
Tacitus also mention Ingvaeones, Istvaenones an Hermiones but I think
that was categories of ritual league Tacitus 22
The Suebi were a great league of 54 tribes (Orosius). which covered
the former Celtic area around Halstatt and La Tene. The culture in
Halstatt began in about 800 BC and the salt trade was an important
part in the labour of about 800 people. "Celtic fields" are
significant elements in that culture too and they are found from
Vistula, Poland to Scotland and in north to the plains in Scandinavia.
Once they were a threat to the Romans in Raetia. At least the noble
used to make a "Suebian knot" in their hair. We find that pictured on
at least one golden brakteat in Scandinavia. Such things put ants in
the hair and give new questions.
.
Naharnavalian priests wore long shirt and were together with two
Alces. Their rituals were hold in the woods. Still in the cellar of a
church at Rügen we find that priest with a horn engraved in a
stone.
We find him also on one of the horns from Gallehus. Normally the
attribute horn should connect him to the moon and fertility. Again
more new questions.
.
Observe no specific German tribe ever existed. German means "brother"
and is just a category and they could become "foederati" and work and
own property in the Roman Empire. To be a citizen fast you needed a
billion bugs.
Cheers
catshaman

eLerts