[gothic-l] Re: Was the Heruli a little tribe?

Bengt Hemtun hemtun at SWIPNET.SE
Tue Nov 21 16:01:23 UTC 2000

Dear Dirk
Oh, it happens very often that I get new knowledge I never heard
about ...In this cas I used the amazin Google search that is very
good in my field and my search was simply "Heruli"
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Rhodes/6711/austria.html
The Early Dukes of Bavaria (420-690)
The early dukes of Bavaria, who emerged under the suzerainty of the
Frankish kings in the 6th Century, belonged to the family of the
Agilolfings who chose Ratisbon (Regensburg, Bavaria, at the
confluence of the Danube and Regan River) early on as their capital
(Leeper 71).  The earliest Bavarian duke in the historical record is
Theodon I, who lived between 420-511 AD.  He was followed by his son,
Theodon II, who died in 537.  The dukes of Lower Bavaria - Theodon
III (died 565), Theobaldo I (died 567), and Theodebert (died 584) -
preceeded Garibald I, who held the title Duke of Bavaria.  Duke
Garibald I, who reigned between 560-590, seems to have had the power
of a sovereign.  His daughter, Theodelinda, became Queen of the
Lombards.  Two other genealogical origins have been associated with
this duke of Bavaria: the Heruli Prince Fara (died 535) and Agilulf
the Bavarian (born 470).  Agilulf, who married Cloderic's sister,
Princess de Bourgogne, in 490 in France, was succeeded by his son
Agivald Agilolfing (born 500), who, according to one genealogy, was
the father of Garibald I (Tompsett "The Duchy of Bavaria").
.
I think he is a better solution than Theoderic I fostered in
Constantinopel and sent to Italy to get Rome back to Christianity
cheers
catshaman
.
--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, dirk at s... wrote:

> > ..and in fact I think
> > that Bible Argentus may have been a work made for the Herulian
Duke
> > of Bavaria that died in 535 AD.
>

> Hi Bengt,
>
> I have never heard of a Herulian Duke of Bavaria who died in 535AD.
Do
> you have a source for this. At this time Theodo II was king of the
> Bavarians (+537AD). The father of Theodo II, claimed to be a
decendent
> of Theoderic the Great, thus the name,  but who wouldn't.
>

> greetings
> Dirk
>

> In this
> > case we should find out from where the Heruli came and that can
not
> > be only from Fyn or Zealand, I think
> > cheers
> >  catshaman