[gothic-l] Re: The Langobards from Scania/Scadanan

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Wed Nov 22 08:35:38 UTC 2000

--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, "Bengt  Hemtun" <hemtun at s...> wrote:
> Thanks Dirk

 for bringing in archaeology to the discussion. I do not trust in
> occasional Roman notes about tribes without archaeological physical
> evidence confirming.

Hello Bengt,

I think all available sources must be considered, and in analysing
written soureces one must always ask what intention could the writer
have had in writing his account and what sources could he have used.

> Is there any kinship there? I mean between Gothic and Germanic
people.

Tacitus calls the forefathers of the Goths the Gutones at the Vistula
region of modern Poland Germanic, so the Goths are a Germanic people
especially with regard to their language. However, once the Goths left
that region, Roman authors call them Scyths and no longer count them
as Germanic people. At least that is the view of Herwig Wolfram.
Personally I think the Romans used the words Germanic, Skythic and
Barbarian more interchangably. For example in 270 Roman sources call
the Alamanni, which are always counted as Germanic, Juthungian Skyths
after a sub-tribe the Juthungians. However, the Goths on the Black Sea
apparently adopted what might be called a non-Germanic life-style of
steppe nomads, fighting on horseback, adopting Sarmatian art designs
etc. Wolfram emphasis this culture by saying that Totila performed the
 'Djerid' (a kind of Arab horse riding display) in front of the
Byzantium army.  So I guess it depends on how you define Germanic.

Also, thanks for you list. It seems to underscore that the deviding
line between ancient Germans and Celts was often fluent. The Vandals
are a good example, who are said to have contained Celtic Lugian
layers from the time when they were dominated by the Lugi.

greeting

eLerts