[gothic-l] Re: The Langobards from Scania/Scadanan

Bengt Hemtun hemtun at SWIPNET.SE
Wed Nov 22 11:20:15 UTC 2000

--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, dirk at s... wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at egroups.com, "Bengt  Hemtun" <hemtun at s...> wrote:
>
> Hello Bengt,
>
> I think all available sources must be considered, and in analysing
> written soureces one must always ask what intention could the
writer
> have had in writing his account and what sources could he have used.

Dear Dirk
I agree, but when saga and occasional Roman notes are used as the
only truth that is not true science but fiction.
Another thing is that up to an old rule for judges in Sweden "Your
enemy should not be used as witness in court"
.
In the list of Tacitus I stop at this:
"Hellusii and Oxioni with human face on animal body lived in
Scandinavia"
Since my culture is Anglo-Scandinavian I am just tired of those from
the Roman Circus offering people and naming us barbarians ... what I
call my own kin when they used the word should not be printed.
The Greeks told about one-eyed, onefoot, head-in-stomach and dog-head
and I think that was a message to fellow merchants "Those fools we
can lure as we wish"
.
Master Adam of Bremen was the last of that kind telling that above
Limfjorden none could live and east of "Copenhagen" lived those odd
being he had read about in ancient sources. I do not use Adam much as
source.
.
Another thing is that personally I am not much for tribes and I
borrow my view of the human cultural being from for instance Bede
telling that the Anglo-Saxon leaders draw their ancestors beyond Odin
and some list have many words that like Odin is just a cultural
concept. However the words do not tell us much today.
That means in our language that they saw us as a merge of the
biological ancestors and the culture and concepts they have spared to
us.
It is jus selfpreservation to be proud of ancestors, but foolish to
draw borders between people, The old Indo-European wisdom (and that
is also mine since my childhood). It is too hard to fight so why not
make friendship and agreements instead of fight. The world build on
that. Some of my teachers said "The Traders' flag does not know
nations"
cheers
 Bengt

eGroups eLerts