[gothic-l] Re: The Langobards from Scania/Scadanan

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Wed Nov 22 20:43:43 UTC 2000

>--- In gothic-l at egroups.com, dirk at s... wrote:
>> --- In gothic-l at egroups.com, "Bengt  Hemtun" <hemtun at s...> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Bengt,
>>
>> I think all available sources must be considered, and in analysing
>> written soureces one must always ask what intention could the
>writer
>> have had in writing his account and what sources could he have used.
>>
>Dear Dirk
>I agree, but when saga and occasional Roman notes are used as the
>only truth that is not true science but fiction.
>Another thing is that up to an old rule for judges in Sweden "Your
>enemy should not be used as witness in court"
>.
>In the list of Tacitus I stop at this:
>"Hellusii and Oxioni with human face on animal body lived in
>Scandinavia"

If we quote I think we should be correct, not write wishful thinking.

Tacitus writes nothing about Scandinavia.

I read from translation by H. Mattingly revised by S.A. Handford
Tacitus talks about " Here Suebia ends..." and talks about Fenni and
Sarmatians and goes on with

"What comes after them is the stuff of fables - Hellusii and Oxiones with
the faces and features of men, the bodies and limbs of animals. On such
unverifiable stories I shall express no ipinion."

Tore

>Since my culture is Anglo-Scandinavian I am just tired of those from
>the Roman Circus offering people and naming us barbarians ... what I
>call my own kin when they used the word should not be printed.
>The Greeks told about one-eyed, onefoot, head-in-stomach and dog-head
>and I think that was a message to fellow merchants "Those fools we
>can lure as we wish"
>.
>Master Adam of Bremen was the last of that kind telling that above
>Limfjorden none could live and east of "Copenhagen" lived those odd
>being he had read about in ancient sources. I do not use Adam much as
>source.
>.
>Another thing is that personally I am not much for tribes and I
>borrow my view of the human cultural being from for instance Bede
>telling that the Anglo-Saxon leaders draw their ancestors beyond Odin
>and some list have many words that like Odin is just a cultural
>concept. However the words do not tell us much today.
>That means in our language that they saw us as a merge of the
>biological ancestors and the culture and concepts they have spared to
>us.
>It is jus selfpreservation to be proud of ancestors, but foolish to
>draw borders between people, The old Indo-European wisdom (and that
>is also mine since my childhood). It is too hard to fight so why not
>make friendship and agreements instead of fight. The world build on
>that. Some of my teachers said "The Traders' flag does not know
>nations"
>cheers
> Bengt
>

>You are a member of the Gothic-L list.  To unsubscribe, send a blank email
>to <gothic-l-unsubscribe at egroups.com>.
>Homepage: http://www.stormloader.com/carver/gothicl/index.html

eGroups eLerts